Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Non-Honorverse one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Non-Honorverse one-liners
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat May 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Taken from the Star Wars book Solo Command by Aaron Allston.
After a particularly epic squadron-wide vengeance-prank that resulted in the original prankster ending up in front of the squadron he was the 2IC of, naked, holding a stuffed Ewok toy and smeared in Ewok food, the squadron leader had this to say.
Wedge Antilles to Wes Janson:
"You're taking it very well, Wes. Just remember that, when it comes to pranks, you have the necessary enthusiasm, you have the inventiveness, you have the experience... I have the resources."
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat May 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

From Unto The Breach by John Ringo:

"Yeast," the microbiologist replied. "A microorganism that excretes alcohol as the same sort of by-product as urea, the stuff that makes the strong ammonia smell, in human urine. So what you're drinking is, in effect, yeast piss."

"Mike, Mr. Jenkins, my friend," Arensky said, grinning. "Let me give you one piece of advice. Take it for what you will. Piss off terrorists, piss off mobsters, piss off your president if you wish. But never ever piss off a microbiologist."
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 am

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

I have two contributions, both from "Hunt for Red October".

The first quote is a re-telling of one I've already posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:44 pm
in the section called: Honorverse favorite one-liners

-- CLIP --

In the movie "The Hunt for Red October",
the character Andrei Bonovia (portrayed by Krzysztof Janczar {credited as Christopher Janczar}) is an officer (presumably the first officer) of the V.K. Konovalov.

His comment is directed towards Captain 2nd Rank Viktor Tupolev, Commanding Officer of the V.K. Konovalov (‪portrayed by Stellan Skarsgård‬).

FFI, see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxO8_lOOra8
1:55 in to clip he says my favorite movie line:

"You arrogant ass, you've killed us!"

==========

The second one is done by Anthony Peck, portraying Lieutenant Commander "Tommy" Thompson, Executive Officer of the USS Dallas

Here follows some script text w/o the character's labels...

Way to go, Dallas!
Torpedo is in acquisition.
Range xxxx yards and closing.
You've done it, Mr. Thompson!

I hope this works.

Chief, put us on the roof.
Countermeasure station,
on my mark. ...
Release countermeasures.
Emergency blow!
Full rise. Fair water plane.

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon May 19, 2014 2:41 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

A wonderful war cry used by Wedge Antilles who, due to a series of pranks (including a modified comm system), had been forced to fly a TIE Interceptor into combat while pretending to be an Ewok, dressed in matte black with an Ewok stuffed toy strapped to him.
"Bleed and die, yub yub!"

This led to the revenge prank mentioned earlier in the thread...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by niethil   » Tue May 20, 2014 3:54 pm

niethil
Commander

From Asimov's Encyclopedists :

Salvor Hardin wrote:"As you see, gentlemen, something like ninety percent of the treaty boiled right out of the analysis as being meaningless, and what we end up with can be described in the following interesting manner:
"Obligations of Anacreon to the Empire: None!
"Powers of the Empire over Anacreon: None!"

Salvor Hardin wrote:"Lord Dorwin, gentlemen, in five days of discussion didn't say one damned thing, and said it so you never noticed. There are the assurances you had from your precious Empire."
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 20, 2014 4:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ensign Re-read wrote:I have two contributions, both from "Hunt for Red October".

-- CLIP --

In the movie "The Hunt for Red October",
the character Andrei Bonovia (portrayed by Krzysztof Janczar {credited as Christopher Janczar}) is an officer (presumably the first officer) of the V.K. Konovalov.

His comment is directed towards Captain 2nd Rank Viktor Tupolev, Commanding Officer of the V.K. Konovalov (‪portrayed by Stellan Skarsgård‬).

FFI, see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxO8_lOOra8
1:55 in to clip he says my favorite movie line:

"You arrogant ass, you've killed us!"

==========

The second one is done by Anthony Peck, portraying Lieutenant Commander "Tommy" Thompson, Executive Officer of the USS Dallas

Here follows some script text w/o the character's labels...

Way to go, Dallas!
Torpedo is in acquisition.
Range xxxx yards and closing.
You've done it, Mr. Thompson!

I hope this works.

Chief, put us on the roof.
Countermeasure station,
on my mark. ...
Release countermeasures.
Emergency blow!
Full rise. Fair water plane.

I love that movie, and the acting! Of course it has an all star cast.

Love your one-liners. But you missed one of my favorites, by the Captain of the American sub portrayed by Scott Glenn just before your line.

The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch.

Also, I remember your post in the one-liners thread. It and a few others led me to the need of a non-Honorverse one-liners thread, as there is so much excellent material out there. You have yourself to thank for this thread. Yours was the inspiration. Also, your contribution led me to another need...to watch Hunt for Red October again! :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Wed May 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

cthia wrote:
Ensign Re-read wrote:I have two contributions, both from "Hunt for Red October".

-- CLIP --

== and CLIP again ==

I love that movie, and the acting! Of course it has an all star cast.

Love your one-liners. But you missed one of my favorites, by the Captain of the American sub portrayed by Scott Glenn just before your line.

The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch.

Also, I remember your post in the one-liners thread. It and a few others led me to the need of a non-Honorverse one-liners thread, as there is so much excellent material out there. You have yourself to thank for this thread. Yours was the inspiration. Also, your contribution led me to another need...to watch Hunt for Red October again! :lol:

My first ever copy of Hunt for Red October was a _RED_ videocassette. Yes, it was a used one from a Video Rental Store, but it was _RED_. And I wore it out (or finished wearing it out).
{Ugggh! That's a clue as to my rough age-group.}

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
=====
=====
Post by niethil   » Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 pm

niethil
Commander

If we are talking films with Sean Connery, it is of course :

Welcome to the Rock !

Your best ? Loosers always worry about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

- Have you ever been in a combat situation before?
- Define combat, sir.
- An incursion underwater to re-take an impregnable fortress held by an elite team of U.S. Marines, in possession of eighty-one hostages and fifteen guided rockets loaded with V.X. poison gas.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Thu May 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

I know it's not a movie, but I did very much like this quote by "Stormin'" Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr.:

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AjCAuYkrgA

"And now I'm going to show you a picture of the Luckiest man in Iraq on this particular day. Keep your eye on the crosshairs..." (Truck drives across bridge) "Right through the crosshairs... And now, in his rear view mirror... (Bridge explodes, laughter in audience)

=====
=====
=====
Post by John Prigent   » Fri May 30, 2014 2:56 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Re-reading Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment I came across a one-liner I'd forgotten:

'We had folk singers in the bar for six months where I worked. In the end we had to get in a man with a ferret to get rid of them.'

Cheers

John

Return to Free-Range Topics...