Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Non-Honorverse one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Non-Honorverse one-liners
Post by niethil   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:22 pm

niethil
Commander

Aha, the Monstrous Regiment ...

Ankh Morpork had overtaken cunning a thousand years ago, had sped past devious, had left artful far behind, and had now, by a roundabout route, arrived at straightforward.

It must have been the socks talking.

It is an established fact that, despite everything society can do, girls of seven are magnetically attracted to the colour pink.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:32 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Mark Knofler of Dire Straits at Wembley, announcing a substitute guitarist. "Sorry about this folks, he's never played at Wembley before, but he has played, Eric Clapton"
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Mark Knofler of Dire Straits at Wembley, announcing a substitute guitarist. "Sorry about this folks, he's never played at Wembley before, but he has played, Eric Clapton"

Nice one Daryl. Wish I could have been there. Did you attend? I'd've been grinning like a cheshire cat!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by niethil   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:13 pm

niethil
Commander

Have been rereading Jane Austen, and stumbled upon :

An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do NOT marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you DO.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by ncwolf   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 pm

ncwolf
Commander

Another one from Lois McMaster Bujold, Komar:

"If he didn't have to guess, he didn't have to guess wrong."
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The Amazing Spider Man 2, May Parker...
"Don't just follow the path. Make your own trail."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

She raised me!!!

One of the most powerfully delivered lines, imbued with both scathing rebuke and magnanimous feeling.

Emma Stone, The Help

Post by Hutch   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:19 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Top Gear is one of my favorite shows on BBC -America (yes, I know there is no accounting for taste and I probably have none anyway...) and has some recurring one-liners that anyone who has watched the show already knows...)

How hard can it be?
Usually uttered right before things go massively wrong.

Well, that went well.
It didn't.

It's capable of going fast in the same way that Queen Victoria was capable of running. It just doesn't seem to like it very much.
on the Renault Vel Satis--and something like it about almost every car they test-drive

And it seems like quite a lot, when you peel away this amazing body and find out what's underneath. Yep, underneath the abs and the pecs is a GMC Tahoe, which is ugly, big, slow, and is completely flummoxed by snow, mud, gravel, soil, grass clippings, drizzle, or even a light breeze. [On the Hummer H2]
-They are not fond of American cars...

... And on that bombshell!
THe end of the show every week

If you're thinking of coming to America, this is what it's like: you've got your Comfort Inn; you got your Best Western; you got your Red Lobster where you eat. Everybody's very fat, everybody's very stupid and everybody's very rude. It's not the holiday programme—it's the truth.
-After driving from Miami to New Orleans...
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Something happened to a friend today. He was at a clients store when a patron asked if there was a good restaurant nearby. He saiddepends what kind of food you like. She said Nazi food. He was pretty shocked but managed to ask the store owner if there was a German restaurant nearby. She informed the patron there wasn't a German restaurant nearby but suggested another place. The patron happily left. The store owner asked why he insisted on a German resurant, he said it was the only thing he could think of when she said Nazi food. The store owner then corrected him, she said no seafood.
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Lord Skimper wrote:Something happened to a friend today. He was at a clients store when a patron asked if there was a good restaurant nearby. He saiddepends what kind of food you like. She said Nazi food. He was pretty shocked but managed to ask the store owner if there was a German restaurant nearby. She informed the patron there wasn't a German restaurant nearby but suggested another place. The patron happily left. The store owner asked why he insisted on a German resurant, he said it was the only thing he could think of when she said Nazi food. The store owner then corrected him, she said no seafood.

As someone who has 40 dB of "Cookie-Bite" hearing loss, I find this story TOTALLY believable.
FFI, see URL: http://www.hear-it.org/Cookie-bite-hearing-loss-1

I've been in similar situations over and over again and again. When I hear people saying such ridiculous statements, I have to often ask myself, "Did they really mean that?" and "What OTHER thing could they have meant to say?"

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====

Return to Free-Range Topics...