Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Non-Honorverse one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Non-Honorverse one-liners
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:[Ivanova has just grabbed the Drazi Green Leader's sash]

Ianova: "You're saying just because I'm holding this right now, I'm Green leader? But I'm human!"

Former Green Leader: "Rules of combat older than contact with other races. Did not mention aliens. Rules change...caught up in committee."

Ivanova: "Bureaucracy. Ya gotta love it."

Oh yeah, that one is really neat.
Post by umbrarchist   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:15 pm

umbrarchist
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

"Once the avalanche has started it is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh, Babylon 5

"You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." - Morpheus, The Matrix
Post by Emo Otaku   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:47 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

Myny Many Many excellent quotes on this thread

Heres some I like

Larry Correia Monster Hunter International

"On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jackass of a boss from a fourteenth-story window."

And now for a few Stargate

Dr. Jackson: The Pentagon said this was everything.
Col. O'Neill: Oh, please! The Pentagon's lost entire countries.

Bra'tac: Now we die.
Col. O'Neill: Well, that's a bad plan.

Col. O'Neill: Oh. Well, it's hard to say.
Maj. Thornbird: Some sort of state secret?
Col. O'Neill: No, just difficult to pronounce

Col. O'Neill: Something wrong?
Maj. Carter: No. I've just never blown up a star before.
Col. O'Neill: Well, they say the first one's always the hardest.

Dr. Jackson: I just hope we don't regret giving them those Gate addresses.
Col. O'Neill: I don't think we will, the first one being a black hole and all. They get progressively darker after that.

Col. Reynolds: Not much faith in Plan A?
Col. O'Neill: Since when has Plan A ever worked?
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by Hutch   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Sam Clemens, better known as Mark Twain, was well-know for his comments, along with his writing. Here are a couple:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company

In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places.

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives.

Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Last edited by Hutch on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Sam Clemens, better known as Makr Twain, was well-know for his comments, along with his writing. Here are a couple:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company

In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places.

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives.

Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

I love these Mark Twain quotes Hutch. I am literally rolling!
Some I didn't know!

Thanks! A million laughs!! :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Well, since this a Forum dedicated to Military SF, I guess a few Military one-lines might be in order...

No other terms than unconditional and immediate surrender. I propose to move immediately upon your works
--The line that got Ulysses Simpson Grant the title of "Unconditional Surrender"

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.
Grant and McKeon would have gotten on well, I think.

The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force.

Thomas Jefferson
--Oops

As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist, he is neither a strategist, nor is he schooled in the operational arts, nor is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier. Other than that, he's a great military man, I want you to know that.

Norman Schwarzkopf
Old Stormin' Norman

I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.

William Tecumseh Sherman
--From a man who hated War and Reporters about equally.

There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.

Sun Tzu
--Still True?

Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living.

Omar N. Bradley
--It's interesting that those who have known war are often the least enthused about it....

then again...
I have not yet begun to fight!
John Paul Jones

Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war.

Winston Churchill
--Of course, being Winston, I'm sure he thought it didn't apply to him...

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

Ambrose Bierce
-Hmmm, given American's normally woeful geographical knowledge...

In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Battle, n., A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would not yield to the tongue.

Ambrose Bierce
--Author of the Devil's Dictionary

Don't worry boys! They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance
[/quote] Major General John Sedgewick at the Battle fo Spotsylvania--he was shot dead by a sniper three minutes later...
Last edited by Hutch on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

--Still True?

Yes. It doesn´t benefit the nation even if it benefits individuals there.
Post by niethil   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:40 pm

niethil
Commander

Hutch wrote:
Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living.

Omar N. Bradley
--It's interesting that those who have known war are often the least enthused about it....

Then I feel obliged to quote :
George Orwell wrote:.
A peace that was truly permanent would be the same as a permanent war. This, although the vast majority of Party members understand it only in a shallower sense, is the inner meaning of the Party slogan : war is peace.

Meanwhile, some other one-liners from Babylon 5 :
Lieutenant Commander Ivanova wrote:.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There is always a boom tomorrow.

Lieutenant Commander Ivanova wrote:.
Boom ! Boom boom boom ! Boom boom ! BOOM ! Have a nice day.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

"It isn't enough to be able to talk,
you have to have something to say!"

John Berryman, "Something To Say" in Analog

HTM
Post by Hutch   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

One more listing--from the writer that brought me to love SF.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes.

Never try to outstubborn a cat.

What are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future, facts are your single clue.

Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind, it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate-and quickly.

To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science requires reasoning, while those other subjects merely require scholarship

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors-and miss.

The correct way to punctuate a sentence that starts: “Of course it is none of my business but-” is to place a period after the word “but.” Don‟t use excessive force in supplying such moron with a period. Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about.

“I came, I saw, she conquered.” (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of “loyalty” and “duty.” Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute-get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

All from The Notebooks of Larzarus Long by Robert Anson Heinlein.

Return to Free-Range Topics...