Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Non-Honorverse one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Non-Honorverse one-liners
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Four gees? Look, I don't think you appreciate how long we've been living in free-fall. Our faces will migrate around to the backs of our heads and we'll be the only animals in the system with frontbones!

-- Stardance, Spider Robinson

Been at least 30 years since I last read that book. I need to get a new copy, as my old one went missing.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

D'OH! Missed one of the best ones:

"Then don't wish to be normal," said Miles passionately, rising to pace. "You'll only waste your precious time in futile frustration. Wish to be great! That at least you have a fighting chance for. Great at whatever you are."
Post by Invictus   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:43 am

Invictus
Commander

[quote="MaxxQ"

<grin> Sorry.[/quote]

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Bastard. :lol:

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Hutch   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:36 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I am going to have to read the Discworld (and the Miles saga) one of these days (probably after I retire and have the time to spend on them).

But those quotes made me think of another book that offers more than a few chuckles in a few words--The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

This planet has — or rather had — a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

[The Guide] says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. It says that the effect of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.

Mostly Harmless

It was for the sake of this day that he had first decided to run for the Presidency, a decision which had sent waves of astonishment throughout the Imperial Galaxy - Zaphod Beeblebrox? President? Not the Zaphod Beeblebrox? Not the President? Many had seen it as a clinching proof that the whole of known creation had finally gone bananas.

"If I asked you where the hell we were," said Arthur weakly, "would I regret it?"
Ford stood up. "We're safe," he said.
"Oh good," said Arthur.
"We're in a small galley cabin," said Ford, "in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet."
"Ah," said Arthur, "this is obviously some strange usage of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of."

"I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed," Marvin said.

The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backwards-somersault through a hoop whilst whistling the 'Star Spangled Banner', but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

"Listen, three eyes," he said, "don't you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal."

To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem

"There!" said Ford, shooting out his arm. "There, behind that sofa!"
Arthur looked. Much to his surprise, there was a velvet paisley-covered Chesterfield sofa in the field in front of them. He boggled intelligently at it. Shrewd questions sprang into his mind.
"Why," he said, "is there a sofa in that field?"
"I told you!" shouted Ford, leaping to his feet. "Eddies in the space-time continuum!"
"And this is his sofa, is it?" asked Arthur, struggling to his feet and, he hoped, though not very optimistically, to his senses.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. … Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

"That young girl," Marvin added unexpectedly, "is one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting."

If a sunbeam had ever managed to slink this far into the justice complex of Argabuthon it would have turned around and slunk straight back out again

And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small café in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything.
Sadly, however, before she could get to a phone to tell anyone about it, the Earth was unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass, and so the idea was lost, seemingly for ever.
This is her story.

We apologize for the inconvenience." God's Final Message to His Creation, written in letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains.
"I think," Marvin murmured at last, from deep within his corroding rattling thorax, "I feel good about it."
The lights went out in his eyes for absolutely the very last time ever.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Life has a lot of entreés. So don't fill up off bread.

Peter Family Guy

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Armageddon
Hi hi how ya turn it off!

What you doing with a gun in space?

I will make 800 ft. I swear to God I will.

Get off the nuclear warhead...Now.

Just wanted to feel the power between my legs Sharp.

God it sucks up here.

We got a great view of the Earth up here. Too bad we're never gonna set foot on her again.

I'm the only certified astronaut. I'm saving your American ass!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Another from Babylon 5:

G'Kar: You want to be President?
Sheridan: Yes.
G'kar: Put your hand on the book and say, "I do."
Sheridan (places left hand on book, raises right hand): I do.
G'Kar: Fine. Done. Let's eat.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Delenn:

"The ship which has taken Captain Sheridan is known to us. They are called the Streibs. Over the years they have sent out ships to investigate defenses and acquire samples of any lifeforms they encountered. Their last expedition was into Minbari space. We tracked them back to their homeworld and made sure they understood the depth of their mistake."

Later:

"This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. If you remember our last confrontation you will release your prisoners at once."

In one episode of Buffy, the town gets hit with a curse that causes many adults to behave like irresponsible teenagers. In a subsequent episode, Buffy gets a telepathy curse and turns to her mother:

"You had sex with Giles?"

"On the hood of a police car?"

"TWICE?!?"

Delenn again:

"You are the heart, the hands, and the voice of our people. Judge wisely, and well."
Post by niethil   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:50 pm

niethil
Commander

How the Drazi fight :

Who takes green is green. Follow green leader. Who takes purple is purple. Follow purple leader.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

niethil wrote:How the Drazi fight :

Who takes green is green. Follow green leader. Who takes purple is purple. Follow purple leader.

[Ivanova has just grabbed the Drazi Green Leader's sash]

Ianova: "You're saying just because I'm holding this right now, I'm Green leader? But I'm human!"

Former Green Leader: "Rules of combat older than contact with other races. Did not mention aliens. Rules change...caught up in committee."

Ivanova: "Bureaucracy. Ya gotta love it."
-----------------------
Hard work and sacrifice pays off at some indefinite time in the future. Laziness pays off today.

Return to Free-Range Topics...