Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], penny, Senior Chief, Theemile and 14 guests

A single SD-based Space Station

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A single SD-based Space Station
Post by Vince   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

thinkstoomuch wrote:Snip...

Do we know if it is even possible to raise the wedge on one fusion plant?

...Snip

Yes we do know if it is possible to raise the wedge on an Honorverse impeller drive ship with one fusion plant.

The answer is both yes and (possibly) no.

At least in regards to merchantman impeller wedge starships, definitely yes:
Honor Among Enemies, Chapter 5 wrote:That was the biggest weakness of Trojan Horse, for the Caravan class were true merchantmen—big, slow, bumbling freighters, without armor, without military-grade drives, without internal compartmentalization or a warship's sophisticated damage control remotes. Their hulls were the flattened, double-ended spindles of any impeller drive vessel, but they'd been laid out to maximize cargo-handling efficiency, without a warship's "hammer head" ends, where the hull flared back out to mount powerful chase armaments. They'd also been built with only one power plant apiece which, like many of their vital systems, was deliberately placed close to the skins of their hulls to facilitate access for maintenance and repair. Unfortunately, that also exposed it to hostile fire, and though Vulcan had added a second fusion plant deep inside Wayfarer's hull, no one in her right mind would ever consider her a "proper" warship.
Italics are the author's, boldface is my emphasis.

For warship impeller wedge star ships (not LACs), possibly yes and no. And for LACs, definitely yes:
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 13 wrote:"Of course, the designers can cut some corners when they design a LAC. For one thing, they don't try to build in a power plant which can meet all requirements out of current generating capacity. Ton-for-ton, LACs have enormous capacitor rings, much larger than anything else's, even an SD. They're a lot smaller in absolute terms, naturally, given the difference in size between the ships involved, but most energy-armed LACs rely on the capacitor rings to power their offensive armament, and a lot of them rely on the capacitors even for their point-defense clusters. And not even a superdreadnought has enough onboard power generation to bring its wedge up initially without using its capacitors. Just maintaining it once it is up, even with the energy-siphon effect when it twists over into hyper, requires a huge investment in power, and initiating the impeller bands in the first place raises the power requirement exponentially. So even when they're not doing anything else, most warships tend to have at least one fusion plant on-line to charge up their capacitor rings . . . and, of course, a LAC only has one power plant, and just keeping it up and running requires its own not insubstantial power investment.

For pinannces and missiles, the answer is definitely yes.
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 13 wrote:"But like you, I was thinking about the hardware side of his report and wishing the Board had been given a chance to see it before it issued its official conclusions," the citizen admiral went on. "Not that it would have convinced the doubters . . . or even me—fully, I mean—I suppose. It just doesn't seem possible that even the Manties could squeeze a fusion plant, and a full set of beta nodes, down into a LAC hull and then find room to cram in a godawful graser like the one Diamato described, as well!"
"I've never really understood that," Honeker said, admitting a degree of technical ignorance no "proper" people's commissioner would display. "I mean, we put fusion plants into pinnaces, and isn't a LAC just a scaled-up pinnace, when all's said and done?"
"Um." Tourville scratched an eyebrow while he considered the best way to explain. "I can see why you might think that," he acknowledged after a moment, "but it's not just a matter of scale. Or, rather, it is a matter of scale, in a way, but one in which the difference is so great as to create a difference in kind, as well.
"A pinnace has a far weaker wedge than any regular warship or merchantman. It's enormously smaller, for one thing, not more than a kilometer in width, and less powerful. The little hip-pocket fusion plants we put into small craft couldn't even begin to power an all-up wedge for a ship the size of a LAC. Which is just as well, because they use old-fashioned mag bottle technology and laser-fired fusing that's not a lot more advanced than they were using back on Old Earth Ante Diaspora. We've made a hell of a lot of advances since then, of course, in order to shoehorn the plants down to fit into pinnaces, but the way they're built puts a low absolute ceiling on their output.
"Even the biggest pinnace or assault shuttle comes in at well under a thousand tons, though, and a worthwhile LAC has to be in the thirty- to fifty-thousand-ton range just to pack in its impellers and any armament at all. Remember that courier boats in the same size range don't carry any weapons or defenses and just barely manage to find someplace to squeeze in a hyper generator. A LAC may be smaller than a starship, but it still has to be able to achieve high acceleration rates (which means a military grade compensator), produce sidewalls, power its weapons—and find places to mount them—and generally act like a serious warship, or else people would simply ignore it. Which means that, like any starship, LACs need modern grav-fusing plants to maintain the power levels they require. And there are limits on how small you can make one of those."
The citizen vice admiral twitched a shrug.

Single drive missiles have always been capacitor powered, as were the first generations of MDMs and the IAN's DDMs. Later RMN and GSN MDMs and DDMs were fusion powered with only one micro fusion power plant.

And for courier boats, which have military grade drives and inertial compensators, we can infer the answer as yes. Looking at the relevant portions of the last quote above:
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 13 wrote:"Even the biggest pinnace or assault shuttle comes in at well under a thousand tons, though, and a worthwhile LAC has to be in the thirty- to fifty-thousand-ton range just to pack in its impellers and any armament at all. Remember that courier boats in the same size range don't carry any weapons or defenses and just barely manage to find someplace to squeeze in a hyper generator.

Given that quote comparing the size of worthwhile LACs to courier boats, and the comparison of the equipment they carry:

LAC

Beta (or Beta-squared) nodes
No Alpha nodes
Military grade inertial compensator
No hyper generator
Sidewall generators
Armament
One fusion (or fission) power plant
Hydrogen fuel bunkerage (for fusion powered LACs)

Courier boat

Military grade Beta (or Beta-squared) nodes
Military grade Alpha nodes
Military grade inertial compensator
Military grade hyper generator
No sidewall generators
No armament
At least one fusion power plant
Hydrogen fuel bunkerage

Given the comparison, does anyone think that a courier boat has the mass and volume to squeeze in a spare fusion power plant? We've seen how cramped these vessels are for the crew in Echoes of Honor, to the point where the courier boat's captain's bunk has a padded ceiling to keep them from getting concussions if they sit up quickly without ducking their head.

I submit that there is just no way that a courier boat could carry two fusion power plants. They just don't have the mass/volume to spare.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:56 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

I was referring to a SD wedge not a generic wedge which I assumed would be obvious(Hey it was in my mind anyway :-) ). I was thinking about that quote from AoV when I typed that.

Imprecision is the bane of my communication skills.

Oh well I'll keep trying,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:13 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

As far as the astroid mining and processing popultaion being out of a job without the operationg system infrastructure and all that Solarian scrap parked, yes there would be a lot problems but there would also be at least short term jobs available for people who do have the spacing skills. They already are used to working in space and familure with both the mindset and safety needed. The processing centers probably can be reconfigured to recycle the scrap rather than "just" sort astroid materials and extract the stuff you are looking for.

One of the steps here that may help is that -theoreticaly at least- extractors can provide usable materials faster since they are working with "higher quality ore". Another is that I suspect that the people working in the search and extraction business have a fair number of skills that would lend themselves to the rebuilding process. Not making military grade sensors or coures, but tearing down repairing and rebuilding stuff. Things that would go a long way in doing shipbuilding. Also the construction of the new stations. Not that everybody would have a better job or a better income but they would have important ones and probably significant incomes.
Recall that Manticore really would prefer to use Manticorian citizens if possible to rebuild. That would be a best case scenario in terms of security and keeping the money (that they know they are going to have to spend) within the Manticor economy.

Oyster Bay is going to permainatly change a lot of stuff. The job dislocation for the astroid extaction industry is one of things. There is a number of places that offer long term employment in the rebuilding of the infrastructre. The glut of salvaged materials is going to (probably) end eventualy and the actual prospecting and harvesting of the materials in the belts will come back. Of course, there are going to be a LOT of fomer SLN scrap metal going forward that it MIGHT be worth shipping in large or small lots to places like Manticore and Grayson (and Beowulf and the IAM amoung others) as a commodity, just like wreckers do today with old ships. :)
Post by kzt   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:48 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Almost everything for the first round will need to be built in Beowulf or Gregor, and probably will need to be assembled by teams from the builder. (Which also implies that these platforms are also forever linked to the industrial base in Beowulf or the Andies.) I suspect that neither Gregor or Beowulf has a shortage of raw materials.

Once you have something that can build hi-tech equipment the next cycle will be or could built more to Manticore standards. It might still be needed to design everything using parts available from Gregor or Beowulf unless you want to spend a lot of time building the entire industrial base rather then just the top level.

But there is a lot of trash to be collected.
Post by Jeroswen   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:05 pm

Jeroswen
Lieutenant Commander

The E wrote:
Jeroswen wrote:First I appreciate the point by point critique. I'll take your last point first. Telling someone you can probably liberate them in a week sounds great as long as you aren't standing on the planet when it happens. Worse yet, you are refusing to give them equipment that will cost you nothing for them to pick up.

But that requires being strong everywhere, which as we know is just not possible. The nodal fleet model is the only way to protect a large area with enough force to be effective while at the same time keeping enough forces ready for offensive action.

As for the "costs nothing" thing: True, Manticore could distribute these ships at very low cost. But unless the new operators can be vetted to do nothing untoward with them, this is a risky proposition, especially considering the chaos that is about to break out in League space. What happens when one of the beneficiaries of this arms transfer turns out to be another Warnecke?

I can understand your point but even if I guess wrong 20% of the time 4 systems out of 5 will be protected from another Warnecke. Those odds I like. Its easy to sit on your hands and do nothing. It takes risks to get things done.

The argument you make falls flat when you call the ships junk on one hand and not worth anything, and then worry about what harm they could do in the wrong hands. You can't have it both ways.
Post by Uroboros   » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jeroswen wrote:I can understand your point but even if I guess wrong 20% of the time 4 systems out of 5 will be protected from another Warnecke. Those odds I like. Its easy to sit on your hands and do nothing. It takes risks to get things done.

The argument you make falls flat when you call the ships junk on one hand and not worth anything, and then worry about what harm they could do in the wrong hands. You can't have it both ways.

The ships are junk. While the idea of handing off an old-fashioned SD that you are handing off an old-fashioned SD. The SDs are completely worthless except as scrap. While the lighter units might be able to be repurposed, it's a bit doubtful weather or not they will since the Manticore is sort of lacking any yard space. Haven would have that space, but it is the only industrial power in the GA right now and it's going to have better things to do with its time and energy than convert a bunch of old-style light units.

For one, while you could probably scare up a crew in nearly every system that you could potentially put them in, you have to find people to train a crew to actually use the equipment, and use it effectively. That requires a large pool of people who are trained in now-obsolete technology and willing to train the people going to use it.

You not only have to turn them into competent spacers, but you have to train them individually for each job the ship needs doing. If we are to use the Manticoran standard, an officer takes at least four years of training, while an enlisted officer takes around two. If you were going to use conscripts, your officers would actually take longer to train, due to the fact that they now have to do everything that enlisted personnel would have been trained to be doing. Even with accelerated program, the time to train people is going to be lengthy.

Nor is any of this really necessary in Talbott or Silesia. A spread of missile pods and some new-style LACs are really all that's needed to defend systems against local pirates and any raid the Sollys could put together. Nor would it really be a priority in Silesia, as Sarnow has a well-equipped fleet and no enemy at the doorstep to fight.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:36 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Uroboros wrote:
Jeroswen wrote:I can understand your point but even if I guess wrong 20% of the time 4 systems out of 5 will be protected from another Warnecke. Those odds I like. Its easy to sit on your hands and do nothing. It takes risks to get things done.

The ships are junk. While the idea of handing off an old-fashioned SD that you are handing off an old-fashioned SD. The SDs are completely worthless except as scrap. While the lighter units might be able to be repurposed, it's a bit doubtful weather or not they will since the Manticore is sort of lacking any yard space. Haven would have that space, but it is the only industrial power in the GA right now and it's going to have better things to do with its time and energy than convert a bunch of old-style light units.

For one, while you could probably scare up a crew in nearly every system that you could potentially put them in, you have to find people to train a crew to actually use the equipment, and use it effectively. That requires a large pool of people who are trained in now-obsolete technology and willing to train the people going to use it.

You not only have to turn them into competent spacers, but you have to train them individually for each job the ship needs doing. If we are to use the Manticoran standard, an officer takes at least four years of training, while an enlisted officer takes around two. If you were going to use conscripts, your officers would actually take longer to train, due to the fact that they now have to do everything that enlisted personnel would have been trained to be doing. Even with accelerated program, the time to train people is going to be lengthy.

Nor is any of this really necessary in Talbott or Silesia. A spread of missile pods and some new-style LACs are really all that's needed to defend systems against local pirates and any raid the Sollys could put together. Nor would it really be a priority in Silesia, as Sarnow has a well-equipped fleet and no enemy at the doorstep to fight.

I pretty much agree with you on the SDs. I will comment though, that training spacers for naval service is probably going to be a sellers market as more and more systems find themselves without SLN protection and needing navies of their own. Manticore could set up an academy separate from its own service academy and advertise. I bet they'd get all sorts of takers.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:13 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

tinfoil wrote:"Gift" them to a polity that you are not particularly happy with or want to weigh down.

Go look up the wiki entry for "White Elephant".
Solarian SDs fit the classic definition to a 'tee'.

Give a tinpot leader a squadron of SDs to own would (in the short term) make him very happy with you, but would immediately soak up all of his or her resources trying to keep in them in service.

Every reason for the GA to not want them is equally valid for all of the 'other guys' too. But the other guys might not know this!

This may actually be the best suggestion I have heard of for dealing with the old Sollie SDs. Of course, you could be laying up some problems for the future.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Vince   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
tinfoil wrote:"Gift" them to a polity that you are not particularly happy with or want to weigh down.

Go look up the wiki entry for "White Elephant".
Solarian SDs fit the classic definition to a 'tee'.

Give a tinpot leader a squadron of SDs to own would (in the short term) make him very happy with you, but would immediately soak up all of his or her resources trying to keep in them in service.

Every reason for the GA to not want them is equally valid for all of the 'other guys' too. But the other guys might not know this!

This may actually be the best suggestion I have heard of for dealing with the old Sollie SDs. Of course, you could be laying up some problems for the future.

Definitely one of the best ideas yet! But not as White Elephants. In keeping with the naval theme of (most of) the Honorverse books, I suggest the term: 'An albatross around the neck'.*

* From the The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by wastedfly   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:49 pm

wastedfly
Commodore

Vince wrote:Definitely one of the best ideas yet! But not as White Elephants. In keeping with the naval theme of (most of) the Honorverse books, I suggest the term: 'An albatross around the neck'.*

* From the The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Sniff Sniff, what is that stench?

There are 1500 SL worlds that have GDP equal to Manticore, with NO DEFENSE at all outside of a couple of LAC's. None. Protectorates is another ~?2000+? worlds with around a billion population. We are talking 0.001% to even a protectorate. 10,000/1 Billion

A couple SD's would be equivalent to a gnat buzzing near their body to the SL core/shell worlds and upwards of a fly for the protectorates. Unless of course you believe everyone is illiterate and dropped out of school... If Masada can easily crew a BC in a couple of weeks, an SD would not have been any harder.

Return to Honorverse