Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Vince   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:19 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:
Daryl wrote:Before the LACs had a bow shield their safe top speed probably was slower than most ships, even if they got there quicker.

Not really, they just had crap drive nodes, which resulted in crap wedges, which resulted in crap acceleration, all of which derived from having crap fusion cores providing low amounts of power. The presence/absence of bow walls has virtually no effect on how fast/slow an Honorverse ship can do, they have low-end particle screens that stop very small micrometeorites and dust from destroying ships.

Prior to Manticore's Ghost Rider program, everyone built LAC's like mini-warhips, with mini bells and whistles so it continued to resemble other warships, with mini broadsides. Then Manticore came out with Ghost Rider, which spawned the upgraded nodes and Manticore went back to the drawing board on LAC's to create the first-generation monsters known as Shrike's.

Actually, they just had crap nodes. Why they made the choice to have crap nodes is beyond my understanding, as it seems to be a form of false economy. The only reason I can think of is that the naval designer was given an arbitrary tonnage limit for a LAC (anything larger than this limit would be considered a corvette--another, much larger, non-hyper capable naval unit), so in order to meet this arbitrary tonnage limit, they chose to use smaller, less powerful nodes.

Any LAC that uses fusion is using a grav-fusing power plant. And David has said that the smallest size you can build one of those is the same size that a destroyer uses, which is the smallest ship that can use all of that power. Any smaller vessel (LAC, frigate, dispatch boat, mail courier) using that fusion plant has excess power available to it, so it would seem to make sense that you would have nodes that would fully use some of that excess power.

Citizen Vice-Admiral Tourville talking to his People's Commissioner (Honeker) about the technical details of how LACs are powered:
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 13 wrote:"But like you, I was thinking about the hardware side of his report and wishing the Board had been given a chance to see it before it issued its official conclusions," the citizen admiral went on. "Not that it would have convinced the doubters . . . or even me—fully, I mean—I suppose. It just doesn't seem possible that even the Manties could squeeze a fusion plant, and a full set of beta nodes, down into a LAC hull and then find room to cram in a godawful graser like the one Diamato described, as well!"
"I've never really understood that," Honeker said, admitting a degree of technical ignorance no "proper" people's commissioner would display. "I mean, we put fusion plants into pinnaces, and isn't a LAC just a scaled-up pinnace, when all's said and done?"
"Um." Tourville scratched an eyebrow while he considered the best way to explain. "I can see why you might think that," he acknowledged after a moment, "but it's not just a matter of scale. Or, rather, it is a matter of scale, in a way, but one in which the difference is so great as to create a difference in kind, as well.
"A pinnace has a far weaker wedge than any regular warship or merchantman. It's enormously smaller, for one thing, not more than a kilometer in width, and less powerful. The little hip-pocket fusion plants we put into small craft couldn't even begin to power an all-up wedge for a ship the size of a LAC. Which is just as well, because they use old-fashioned mag bottle technology and laser-fired fusing that's not a lot more advanced than they were using back on Old Earth Ante Diaspora. We've made a hell of a lot of advances since then, of course, in order to shoehorn the plants down to fit into pinnaces, but the way they're built puts a low absolute ceiling on their output.
"Even the biggest pinnace or assault shuttle comes in at well under a thousand tons, though, and a worthwhile LAC has to be in the thirty- to fifty-thousand-ton range just to pack in its impellers and any armament at all. Remember that courier boats in the same size range don't carry any weapons or defenses and just barely manage to find someplace to squeeze in a hyper generator. A LAC may be smaller than a starship, but it still has to be able to achieve high acceleration rates (which means a military grade compensator), produce sidewalls, power its weapons—and find places to mount them—and generally act like a serious warship, or else people would simply ignore it. Which means that, like any starship, LACs need modern grav-fusing plants to maintain the power levels they require. And there are limits on how small you can make one of those."
The citizen vice admiral twitched a shrug.
"Of course, the designers can cut some corners when they design a LAC. For one thing, they don't try to build in a power plant which can meet all requirements out of current generating capacity. Ton-for-ton, LACs have enormous capacitor rings, much larger than anything else's, even an SD. They're a lot smaller in absolute terms, naturally, given the difference in size between the ships involved, but most energy-armed LACs rely on the capacitor rings to power their offensive armament, and a lot of them rely on the capacitors even for their point-defense clusters. And not even a superdreadnought has enough onboard power generation to bring its wedge up initially without using its capacitors. Just maintaining it once it is up, even with the energy-siphon effect when it twists over into hyper, requires a huge investment in power, and initiating the impeller bands in the first place raises the power requirement exponentially. So even when they're not doing anything else, most warships tend to have at least one fusion plant on-line to charge up their capacitor rings . . . and, of course, a LAC only has one power plant, and just keeping it up and running requires its own not insubstantial power investment.
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.

Tourville seems to be contradicting David, at least on the power available to a LAC, when he says:

"Of course, the designers can cut some corners when they design a LAC. For one thing, they don't try to build in a power plant which can meet all requirements out of current generating capacity."

David on Fission/fusion power reactors:
Fission/fusion power reactors wrote: The second type of fusion plant is much larger than anything which could be crammed into a pinnace, and it also has much higher input energy requirements of its own. It's really bigger and more powerful than most destroyers require, but anything else would fall short of the destroyer's energy requirements. The problem before the Graysons came along with their advanced fission technology was that the only real choice a LAC designer had was to go ahead and figure out how to cram a destroyer-sized fusion plant into a hull which was maybe 25% the size of the larger vessel. Even without the Warshawski sails, that put an enormous squeeze on the internal volume of the LAC, which helps to explain why it was impossible to squeeze in a really effective armament while simultaneously producing a "light attack craft" which was ridiculously over- powered.
Italics are the author's, boldface is my emphasis.

An example of a navy that somehow (in a 15,000 ton LAC) chose not to skimp on LAC nodes, but still had LACs with much weaker wedge strength than a starship's, but with starship level acceleration in normal space, using old-style (non-Grayson) inertial compensators, is Nuncio:
The Shadow of Saganaimi, Chapter 19 wrote:Abigail Hearns sat in the copilot's seat on the flight deck of the pinnace tractored to the hull of the Nuncian Space Force light attack craft. Although NNS Wolverine—named for a Pontifex species which bore remarkably little resemblance to the far smaller Terran predator of the same name—dwarfed the pinnace, she was tiny compared to any true starship. In fact, at barely fifteen thousand tons, she was less than five percent the size of Hexapuma, yet she was one of the more powerful units of Nuncio's fleet.
And, Abigail thought, remembering a night sky speckled with the brief, dying stars of deep-space nuclear explosions, she's not that much smaller than the LACs we had when Lady Harrington took out Thunder of God. There's a certain symmetry there, I suppose . . . if this works out.
Wolverine sat motionless in space relative to Nuncio-B, holding her position while Pontifex—and HMS Hexapuma—moved steadily away from her at an orbital velocity of just over thirty-two kilometers per second. Five other LACs sat with her, all that could reach her present position before she'd stopped in space, holding position on minimal power, and let her homeworld move away from her. They were packed to the limits of their life-support capacity with two companies of Nuncio Army troops who, Commodore Karlberg had assured Captain Terekhov, were fully qualified for boarding actions and vacuum work. She hoped Karlberg was right, although if everything went well, it probably wouldn't matter one way or the other.

***Snip***

She looked down at the chrono once more and nodded as it came up on the five-hour mark since her remote arrays had detected the intruders. Five hours in which Pontifex had moved over half a million kilometers, taking Hexapuma with it. If the bogeys had managed to put one over on Hexapuma and get a recon drone into space headed to intercept the planet at the time they themselves would approach the hyper limit, its course would take it far enough from Wolverine's present position to make anything as weak as a LAC's impeller signature invisible to them. And since Bogey One and Two themselves were still far beyond shipboard detection range of the planet—
"Stand by for acceleration in three minutes," Captain Einarsson's voice said in her earbug.
The three minutes ticked past into eternity, and then the six LACs and their pinnace parasites went instantly to five hundred gravities of acceleration.
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by kzt   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:06 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

IMNSHO, pretty much everything about the old-style LACs is plot. Pretty much none of it makes any sense.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The thing is that I'd like an account where the advantage in decel is used as an explicit tactical advantage as well.

Abigail Hearns and the pinnaces vs Nuncio's (old style)LACs in the attack on the freighter in Shadows of Saganami
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:The thing is that I'd like an account where the advantage in decel is used as an explicit tactical advantage as well.

Abigail Hearns and the pinnaces vs Nuncio's (old style)LACs in the attack on the freighter in Shadows of Saganami

You're amazing! Thanks. Guess what's in the queue for tomorrow's lazy day reading. Yep.

Note:
I've got enuff questions for us both.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:36 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Even if Haven had destroyed Trevor's Star's shipyards in the process of capturing the system, they would have needed to have at least repair capasity in-system. San Martin was a place they were going to have to hold and would have been a major fleet basing and economic node had the war gone their way.

Having taken San Martin, they eventualy had forced Manticore to withdraw through the wormhole to the Junction. At that point, Haven had several things that needed doing all at once. They needed to plug the Trevor's Star end of the wormhole and defend it against attacks through the wormhole and from hyperspace. They needed to defend the San Martin system against attacks by Manticore to a) liberate it and b) raid the fleet basing operation. They needed -one presumes they needed- to use the San Martin system as at least a forward base for the war against Manticore as well as deal with the partizan fighting on the planet (and possibly elsewhere in the system after the surrender of the government to Haven. That civil unrest would appear to dictate a rather large occupation force with the military logistics to support it which would be concurrent with PRH N protecting the system.

Even if Haven didn't start rebuilding "fixed" shipyards or at least repair yards, they would have needed to move in repair and engineering ships along with the logisitics train to support both routine maintenance and combat damage to PRH N. They are a LONG way from Haven. They need that system and the wormhole, at least when they eventually take Manticore since it is the major access point for Haven to Manticore and then to the SL markets (even if Haven doesn't actually have any plans to expand deeper into the SL)

If they build up a repair facility purely though mobil operations such as recovery & repair ships, those would (or should) have been able to leave the system in the timeframe of Manticore retaking it. Anything not able to leave may or may not have been destroyed, depending on Haven planning and the speed of the eventual fall of the system.

Just one more of those things that will remain off camera.

David mentioned awhile back that Haven deliberately took the time destroying every piece of orbital infrastructure during their retreat from San Martin.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Somtaaw   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Vince wrote:Actually, they just had crap nodes. Why they made the choice to have crap nodes is beyond my understanding, as it seems to be a form of false economy. The only reason I can think of is that the naval designer was given an arbitrary tonnage limit for a LAC (anything larger than this limit would be considered a corvette--another, much larger, non-hyper capable naval unit), so in order to meet this arbitrary tonnage limit, they chose to use smaller, less powerful nodes.

Any LAC that uses fusion is using a grav-fusing power plant. And David has said that the smallest size you can build one of those is the same size that a destroyer uses, which is the smallest ship that can use all of that power. Any smaller vessel (LAC, frigate, dispatch boat, mail courier) using that fusion plant has excess power available to it, so it would seem to make sense that you would have nodes that would fully use some of that excess power.

In general, I agree, but I can't agree it's entirely the node. Even destroyers have TWO fusion cores, which provides considerably more power than the single core a LAC can cram into it, AND still mount weapons at all.

In addition to the minor issue of power generation, until beta-squareds LAC's only mounted beta nodes. Destroyers (and dispatch boats) have two complete sets of beta nodes in addition to the Alpha nodes they need for sails & hyper. LAC's not having those Alpha nodes, are going to have drastically less powerful wedges, which goes hand in hand with less powerful acceleration.

Beta-squared nodes, courtesy of Manticoran engineering and miniaturization are essentially mildly less powerful Alpha nodes that can no longer generate sails, but otherwise are functionally identical. These generated nearly unheard-of power levels for the wedge, which when coupled with the compensator research joining from Grayson, yielded to absurd acceleration rates.

But it all comes down to power, because without power, nodes aren't going to do a thing. And one fusion core isn't going to give as much power as two fusion cores, or one over-sized fission pile seems to.

On a side note, I'm starting to suspect the compensator's aboard all non-MAlign craft require power to operate, as opposed to the powerless grav-plating that's utilized on MAlign spider-drive ships,
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:20 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:But it all comes down to power, because without power, nodes aren't going to do a thing. And one fusion core isn't going to give as much power as two fusion cores, or one over-sized fission pile seems to.

On a side note, I'm starting to suspect the compensator's aboard all non-MAlign craft require power to operate, as opposed to the powerless grav-plating that's utilized on MAlign spider-drive ships,

I also suspect that LACs carried vastly less fuel bunkerage than DDs, to squeeze into the 10,000 ton self imposed displacement. So to stretch that fuel they probably ran their reactors at very low power levels compared so the similar sized reactor in a DD. That might explain the apparent contradiction between a DD sized fusion reactor and needing to carry more supercaoacitors per ton than any other ship in space.

On your side note where did you get the idea that grav plates don't need power. I'm pretty sure that not only do they need power but the MAlign super plates were stated to be both bigger and more power hungry than conventional grav plates...
Post by Somtaaw   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:50 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:But it all comes down to power, because without power, nodes aren't going to do a thing. And one fusion core isn't going to give as much power as two fusion cores, or one over-sized fission pile seems to.

I also suspect that LACs carried vastly less fuel bunkerage than DDs, to squeeze into the 10,000 ton self imposed displacement. So to stretch that fuel they probably ran their reactors at very low power levels compared so the similar sized reactor in a DD. That might explain the apparent contradiction between a DD sized fusion reactor and needing to carry more supercaoacitors per ton than any other ship in space.

On your side note where did you get the idea that grav plates don't need power. I'm pretty sure that not only do they need power but the MAlign super plates were stated to be both bigger and more power hungry than conventional grav plates...

Maybe not no power, but definitely less. Which may correspond with them being less efficient than a compensator, even though grav plates seem to be better for stealth, whereas compensators (perhaps due to being energy hogs) lead to an easier detection?

I was just thinking this when I started re-reading ART, and got to the little snippet about the Ghost-class in Grayson that was going to pass less than 2 LM from a GSN cruiser on it's way to a Ghost rendezvous, and while they were sweating slightly, they weren't overly worried about being detected.

Which got me to thinking, well Ghost's seem to produce alot less heat than most other ships (and apparently that explains kzt's thing about heat generation being stupid... they're VERY efficient at heat reclamation), and Ghosts are even better at it than others, plus they emit it away from known threats to stay space-cold. Heat being a very large byproduct of energy, particularly from the fusion cores, there has to be a reason why they can operate with a much lower energy budget than other 'warships'. Lack of a wedge and using grav plates seems a valid hypothesis.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Haven destroying everthing on the way out out while in the process of being driven out of San Martin does mean that there was something there to destroy.

My rational was that, given the proximity to the Trevor's Star terminus and the need to keep the forces there in good operating order PLUS the need to keep a foot firmly planted on the necks of the San Martino's they would have moved at least repair ships into the system. Not saying the started building construction yards but the trip from the wormhole to San Martin is a lot shorter and could be done without hyperdrive. Cycleing ships to repair within the system- if you don't want to put fleet repair ships out around the wormhole- makes a lot more sense. Moving fleet logistics ships in for supply depots does the same thing. Move the supplies and services closer to a place you really really are wanting to hold since losing the terminus would (and did) mean that Manticore had just aquired a vast shortcut in the direction of Haven.
Haven was not used to loosing things they took. Barnett made and makes sence as a forward and staging base in the drive to Manticore for exactly the same reasons that White Haven had to take it before he could drive on the Trevor's Star terminus. A place to project power from and supply your forces closer to the front lines. White Haven, having taken Barnett, "only" needed to continue to deny it to Haven. San Martin, however, became a primary node on the path to Haven. The terminus is just on the doorstep of the San Martin system- which, again, White Haven and Manticore HAVE to defend as their deep access to the Republic and the reasonable place to create the staging base. Building up actual construction and anything beyond the stations to facilitate up and down travel to the planet would depend greatly on how much they believed they could do to improve the practical service ability of the system rather than bring everything through the terminus. Hydrogen mining and fueling facilities come to mind.
That they were liberating what had been a relatively long term trading partner and co-partner in the operation of the terminus would count as well. The local population- most of it- would be most likely to cooperate with Manticore and assist in the war effort. What actually happened- with San Martin petitioning to join the Empire- would certainly show that was a good move. They don't just have a tradeing partner back to which they are going to be pumping in economic recovery aid, they get a lot of people who are really pissed at Haven and activly joining in the war effort up throught co-beligerents and joining the RMN.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:21 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Maybe not no power, but definitely less. Which may correspond with them being less efficient than a compensator, even though grav plates seem to be better for stealth, whereas compensators (perhaps due to being energy hogs) lead to an easier detection?

I think you are misunderstanding how Inertial Compensators work. Compensators are only as efficient as the "Grav Sump" available to dump inertia into. In N-Space, that grav sump is the wedge. In Hyper and in a grav wav, it is the grav wave.

FWIW, In a grav wave, power is drawn from the sails and power requirements for grav plates or a compensator would be irrelevant.

Grav-plates are less efficient because they can't dump inertia into a grav sump -- which spider drive ships in N-space don't have. (They can traverse wormholes so they must have sails; if they have sails they can survive grav waves; if they can survive grave waves they can use compensators if they haven't given them up to save space.)

MAlign grav-plates are more "efficient" than standard 'plates in that they can offset more acceleration than normal. That doesn't say anything at all about their power consumption. (And they must consume power because nothing except travel in a grav wave is free.) If the streak drive can be used as an example, the MAlign isn't averse to using simple brute-force engineering to achieve desired results.

Insofar as power consumption even enters my consideration of the improved Grav plates in spider-drive ships, "moar pow-er" is the starting assumption.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse