Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

The Cat and the Canine

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Cat and the Canine
Post by tlb   » Sat May 04, 2024 6:53 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Out of curiosity, I did a search for " dog" in the books up through Mission of Honor. There are plenty of yard-dogs and guard-dogs, but those are always people. There are many expressions that use the word "dog", but no actual canine. The only hit on an actual canine came in a snippet about the people examining the captured SLNS Leonhard Euler from Uncompromising Honor

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:You missed the reference to Alfred Harrington's golden retriever in chapter two of _The Honor of the Queen_ (it was a flashback to Honor's childhood though). Of course, it is a different Weber series, but there are several enhanced rottweilers in _Heirs of Empire_

You are correct, but a search for "retriever" only gives these two references. The Honor part of the Honorverse is the only series that I am currently following.
Post by penny   » Sat May 04, 2024 2:00 pm

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:Out of curiosity, I did a search for " dog" in the books up through Mission of Honor. There are plenty of yard-dogs and guard-dogs, but those are always people. There are many expressions that use the word "dog", but no actual canine. The only hit on an actual canine came in a snippet about the people examining the captured SLNS Leonhard Euler from Uncompromising Honor

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:You missed the reference to Alfred Harrington's golden retriever in chapter two of _The Honor of the Queen_ (it was a flashback to Honor's childhood though). Of course, it is a different Weber series, but there are several enhanced rottweilers in _Heirs of Empire_

You are correct, but a search for "retriever" only gives these two references. The Honor part of the Honorverse is the only series that I am currently following.

That had to have been before Honor met Nimitz.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by tlb   » Sat May 04, 2024 2:41 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:You are correct, but a search for "retriever" only gives these two references. The Honor part of the Honorverse is the only series that I am currently following.

penny wrote:That had to have been before Honor met Nimitz.

I urge you again to download the free contents of the Mission of Honor CD (I did, that is how I can search the books up through MoH), so you won't make this kind of mistake. From Honor of the Queen:
Chapter 2 wrote:She laughed again and tossed the ancient frisbee back. There was too little space for the kinds of intricate flight paths she could manage on a planet, but Nimitz buzzed with gusto. He’d been a frisbee freak ever since the day he’d seen a much younger Honor’s father playing the same game with his golden retriever, and, unlike a dog, he had hands.
Clearly I should have found this, without needing to have it pointed out to me.
Post by penny   » Sat May 04, 2024 9:09 pm

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:

tlb wrote:You are correct, but a search for "retriever" only gives these two references. The Honor part of the Honorverse is the only series that I am currently following.

penny wrote:That had to have been before Honor met Nimitz.

I urge you again to download the free contents of the Mission of Honor CD (I did, that is how I can search the books up through MoH), so you won't make this kind of mistake. From Honor of the Queen:
Chapter 2 wrote:She laughed again and tossed the ancient frisbee back. There was too little space for the kinds of intricate flight paths she could manage on a planet, but Nimitz buzzed with gusto. He’d been a frisbee freak ever since the day he’d seen a much younger Honor’s father playing the same game with his golden retriever, and, unlike a dog, he had hands.
Clearly I should have found this, without needing to have it pointed out to me.

I had those CDs with various HV books I have purchased. I loaned them out to friends. But I retained ISO copies of the disks. But those are on my computer. And I never use my computer to interact with the forum. And I rarely mount the ISO image simply to search or read. They are for backup only. And since I have a problem with hackers, never the twain shall meet.

Once upon a time, I searched the books too and included them in posts.

I remember the passage now that you've posted it. I am just shocked there was no interaction with the retriever and Nimitz. Or no mention of it. Surely a young Honor would have loved the dog. Was that on Sphinx? Yeah, I am almost sure that was Sphinx. I'd like to see a heavy world dog. Can you imagine a pit bull on Gryphon? Or an Akita, Bullmastiff or Corso?

Post by tlb   » Sat May 04, 2024 9:53 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:I had those CDs with various HV books I have purchased. I loaned them out to friends. But I retained ISO copies of the disks. But those are on my computer. And I never use my computer to interact with the forum. And I rarely mount the ISO image simply to search or read. They are for backup only. And since I have a problem with hackers, never the twain shall meet.

Unless your only computer is a work computer, you can download a zip file that has the contents from the following location: Mission of Honor CD
Having a copy on a computer would be useful, even it is not used for the forum; since you can have the two devices active and check on one what you are about to type on the other.

Note that I have copied the RTF version of each story out to a folder to make searching easier. If you don't like RTF, there are other formats.

I don't know why you have problems with hackers, I have experienced some the same problems on the forum that you mention; but I attribute it to the forum being overworked: such as the text layout instead of BBS formatting and the temporary problems with having a couple of submits fail. The cursor turning white or transparent is just something funky in the browser.
Post by penny   » Sun May 05, 2024 12:39 pm

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:I had those CDs with various HV books I have purchased. I loaned them out to friends. But I retained ISO copies of the disks. But those are on my computer. And I never use my computer to interact with the forum. And I rarely mount the ISO image simply to search or read. They are for backup only. And since I have a problem with hackers, never the twain shall meet.

Unless your only computer is a work computer, you can download a zip file that has the contents from the following location: Mission of Honor CD
Having a copy on a computer would be useful, even it is not used for the forum; since you can have the two devices active and check on one what you are about to type on the other.

Note that I have copied the RTF version of each story out to a folder to make searching easier. If you don't like RTF, there are other formats.

I don't know why you have problems with hackers, I have experienced some the same problems on the forum that you mention; but I attribute it to the forum being overworked: such as the text layout instead of BBS formatting and the temporary problems with having a couple of submits fail. The cursor turning white or transparent is just something funky in the browser.

I have a supercomputer for research. A workstation for development. A laptop for business. Neither are options. I have several tablets for use for family and friends and kids. I like to keep them safe. When Yahoo was breached, a lot of my personal information was pirated. I used yahoo for a lot of communication because yahoo was one of the first popular social platforms. I was transferring a lot of funds over seas for various reasons, friends, purchases, etc. When Yahoo was breached, the hackers thought they hit the jackpot. But I had policies and procedures in place that would only net them less than a hundred dollars. Yada yada yada. But once your main credentials are stolen, it is difficult to overcome it, because Google, Microsoft and Big Brother almost demand that your computers are tied together by syncing and sharing, etc. Short of deploying inconvenient methods. Case in point.

Plus, once one of my routers was hacked when I was away on vacation. So, when I search the books, it comes with a thousand paper cuts until I get around, eventually, to placing the books on a tablet.

Return to Honorverse